Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book Review--Sun Stand Still

SUN STAND STILL

By Steven Furtick
Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick: Book Cover


Steven Furtick? Who’s he? I did not know. But I do know Jentzen Franklin, Andy Stanley and Bishop Eddie Long. They all said that it is a good book, so I believed them. My name is Henry Givens and you probably don’t know me. But, I am telling you, also, this is a good book. Get it, read it and put it on your book shelf for reference books because you will probably need to come back to it again and again like I know I will.

The first chapter is entitled, “Welcome to Audacious Faith.” You will find that he uses the word ‘audacious’ all throughout this book. Normally, folks would equate ‘audacious’ as something belonging to the super spiritual, high and holy head honchos. Not according to Steven Furtick. He breaks the idea of being ‘audacious’ down to plain and simple rationalization of God and His Word.

For example, in Chapter 9 he explains how the simple meal-time blessing that starts “God is great, God is good” is one of the most faith building phrases there could be. To put it in his terms, the theological training that cost him tens of thousands of dollars was condensed into the first sentence of a children’s prayer. In that chapter, he expounds with beautiful simplicity how great and how good God is. As I read it, I said to myself, “That’s so easy even I can understand it.”

Chapter 10 was equally exciting to me. In it, he brought out ‘Twelve Audacious Faith Confessions.” With each one, he listed the scripture references that pertained to the particular faith confession. Needless to say, I stayed in that chapter for a while. Those confessions are worth memorizing and meditating on. There’s no fluff and bluff in them. They are, just plain and simple, the Word of God as it pertains to our relationship with Him.

I loved the stories he told what happened to three of his friends, Norm, Jack and Matt. He spoke of their faith, their failures and their comebacks. The way he brought it out, I could see some of the things that I was going through, and I was greatly encouraged.

However, the story he related that meant the most to me was when he was at the beach with his five-year-old, Elijah the “wave jumper.” There you see ‘audacious faith’ in one of its purest and simplest forms. As he watched seemingly overwhelming obstacles rushing at him, little Elijah trusted his father’s wisdom and strength to carry him above the waves he was facing. You can almost picture little Elijah laughing as a wave approaches and laughing as it passes underneath. That’s ‘audacious faith.”

Steven Furtick’s book, ‘SUN STAND STILL’ is filled with this kind of faith-building logic. I highly recommend this book to Christians everywhere. It can be purchased at Amazon.com, Borders.com, Christianbook.com, Discountbooksale.com, Google.com/products, Barnesandnoble.com, Chegg.com, Bookbyte.com, or bargainbookstores.com.

I received a copy of this book from WaterBrook Multnomah publishing group in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Were Created for this Battle

Eph. 6:12--For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against powers, against the world forces of this darkness, a...