Friday, August 11, 2017

What Was Jesus Thinking--Let's Play Pretend

For the past couple of years I have struggled with adrenal fatigue. There were times that I only got a few hours sleep each night. In vain, I would lay there for hours thinking I could settle down and go back to sleep. When I couldn't,I figured that while I was awake I may as well pray. After I prayed for all that I could think of to pray for, I would just spend time sensing His presence. As I lingered in His Presence with no real agenda on my mind, the reality of the Holy Spirit became more alive in me. I began to realize Who He really is and what His main purpose inside of us was supposed to be.

Take a look at these scriptures:  2 Corinthians 13:14--The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all.
Phil. 2:1--If there be any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit,

According to Strong's Concordance the word for communion and fellowship in the Greek is 'koinonia'. It's definition is:  fellowship, communion, communication, joint participation. The Word of God here is discussing something a lot deeper than just a fleeting prayer, a few moments of speaking in tongues and one of those ooshy gooshy feel goody things. Paul, the great soul winner and church planter. talked about the utmost importance of spending some quality time in the Presence of Almighty God instead of just throwing a few hot prayer requests His way.

As I mentioned, as I laid there waiting in the Presence of the Holy Spirit, a new awareness of Who He was and what He wanted to do in me, for me and all around me grow stronger and stronger. I began to re-think all the old standard ways that I had been taught all of my life.

Can I say that there has been anything instantaneous? Nope. There was no great vision. God didn't let down a sheet with a prophesy for me like he did Peter. He didn't catch me up to the third heaven like He did Paul. It was like being a kid and realizing one day that you were no longer as high as your mother's waist. You were now as tall as her shoulder. It is called "growing."

2 Peter 3:18--But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

John 15:5--I am the vine, ye are the branches, he that abides in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit.

These are just a few verses that indicate that as a child of God we are expected to be actively growing in the Lord. See also, Ephesians 3:17-19, 1 Peter 2:2, Ephesians 4:15, 1 Corinthians 13:11, Col. 3:9-10, Heb. 6:1-2

One of the things that the Holy Spirit urged me to do was to role play as Jesus as He went through various situations. I had been studying along the lines of John 14:1 where Jesus told us that we shouldn't allow our hearts to be troubled. Of course, the opposite of that is that we should allow our hearts to be happy and at peace throughout our lifetimes. And I had been wondering how to do that.

Since what we think about either troubles us or makes us happy, the Spirit challenged me to role play. What was Jesus thinking in specific time periods of His life and especially when He was going through a rough time?. One of the first times that I chose was when Jesus was crucified, spent time in hell and rose again. We'll get into that later.

But first, let's dig into our last lesson. The gospel writers call it His temptation. I would prefer to call it His confrontation. Now remember, after Jesus was baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit, He spent 40 days fasting and communicating with the Holy Spirit. He was a fleshly man just like all of us humans are. Even though He knew what the Word of God said about Him, He spent some private days and nights talking with and listening to the Creative God Power that He was now filled with.

Christians have been preached to, taught the Word of God and sung into oblivion. And STILL the body of Christ is not the power house of healing and deliverance that it should be. We have done everything else in the world BUT wait in His presence and grow in our relationship with the Spirit of God. And because of that, our thinker is wrong.

Jesus was EXCITED about meeting one-on-one with the devil. He wasn't nervous at all. (Hang with me now.) This was what was running around in His brain. He knew what the Word said about Himself, the devil and the devil's demise. Just like us, He had known that for years. BUT NOW, He had been filled with, spent time with, talked to, LISTENED TO, got intimate with and had a deep, deep relationship with the Creative Power of the Universe.

Please listen to what I say next because this reflects what is happening to me as I spend time in deep communion with the Spirit. Since the Holy Spirit communes with us through our spirit, our emotions begin to reflect God's emotions concerning everything we come in contact with. As I face the things that used to bother me, the comfort of the Holy Spirit with in me quietly says, "That's not bigger than I am. I'll take care of it My way." I kid you not, I immediately settle down and get happy about the situation. I know God's got it.

Jesus spent quality time with the Creator/Destroyer of satan. Why would He be worried about a confrontation. Think about it. BEFORE Jesus began His deliverance ministry He considered it extremely important that He face His biggest adversary. He WANTED a one-on-one, face-to-face showdown with the loser that stole God's glory from mankind. He wanted to call satan's bluff and let him know right off the bat that He was there to carry out the will of God. He wanted to set the tone for a new world order ruled by Holy Ghost filled human beings. AND He wanted the privilege of telling the devil to 'git' and watch him run away with his tail between his legs.

Scared? No. Jesus was never scared. Anxious? No. He wasn't anxious either even in times when it looked like the devil had the upper hand. Even when He went to the cross, He went willingly. BECAUSE DOWN INSIDE OF HIM HE KNEW HOW IT WAS ALL GOING TO COME OUT. IT WAS GOING TO BE JUST LIKE GOD SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE. AND THE ABIDING PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS ALWAYS THERE TO GIVE HIM THE STRENGTH AND ASSURANCE.

I've got to close this one. But I'll continue along these lines in future posts. If you have any questions or comments I would be glad to hear from you and possibly so would some of my readers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Were Created for this Battle

Eph. 6:12--For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against powers, against the world forces of this darkness, a...