Friday, April 8, 2011

Tear the devil a New One

1 Cor 10:5-Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Eph 6:12-For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

James 4:7-Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  (The word 'flee' means to run as if in terror.)

When you TAKE control of your thoughts, satan LOSES control over your life.  Let's qualify Paul to qualify his statement to the Corinthians.  Was Paul successful in adverse circumstance?  Yes.  Are you? _____________________ (Fill in the blank.)  Was Paul a successful soul-winner?  Yes.  We don't need to go there do we?  I have to admit that I am not as good as I want to be.  Shouldn't we be putting into practice some of the things that a successful soul-winner does if we have a desire to be a successful soul-winner?  Aren't there at least a few more lost people to be saved out there?  Aren't there a few more battles to be won?  Sounds like we need to be picking up on some of Paul's and James' successful ways.

Paul said to cast down EVERY high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.  He goes on to admonish us to BRING INTO CAPTIVITY EVERY THOUGHT.  Have you ever noticed that when times get shaky that we tend to think about every bad thing EXCEPT the Word of God?  We play out bad and fearful scenario after scenario of what we FEAR is going to happen.  Have you ever considered what God would do if we REFUSED the think like that and started thinking about His Word being true?  That was Paul's lifestyle.  He faced more  ugly stuff than most of us could ever dream of.  Yet, he forced his mind to think about God's promises rather than what bad thing MIGHT happen.

Pau calls bringing your thoughts into captivity of the Word of God wrestling and resisting the devil.  He has given us insight into his successful warfare and great accomplishments for the cause of Christ.  Remember, he told Timothy to "fight the good fight of faith" and "I have fought a good fight.  I have kept the faith."  (1 Tim 6:12, 2 Tim 4:7)  The fight, and you'll have to admit it is, is keeping our thought processes from running in the muck of doubt and unbelief.  Paul had learned that bringing his thoughts into captivity of the Word of God was a warfare with the devil that he could win.  When people physically fought against him and the cause of Christ that he stood for, Paul learned to fight back by bringing his thoughts into captivity.  He called it wrestling and resisting the devil.  Even though the beatings, shipwrecks and imprisonments seemed to have the upper hand, God would lead Paul to other places where His glory would be poured out in abundance.  It might not have been at the place of his suffering and often it wasn't.  But, Paul KNEW that God had a plan for him even in the rought times when all seemed lost.  As Paul consistently 'wrestled and resisted' the devil, God was faithful to bring him into a time of glory and honor.

I don't believe that my Grandpa invented the phrase "I'm gonna tear you a new one."  But, I sure heard him use it a time or two.  When we take the advice of two great soul-winners, Paul and James, and bring our thoughts into captivity, that is exactly what we do to the devil and his imps.  We 'tear them a new one.'  They might incite people to come against us and do all manner of evil against the cause of Christ, but they CANNOT FORCE me to quit meditating on God's Word.  I am on the only one that can do that.  Since God brought that to my attention last week, I have put it into practice on a daily basis.  I can tell you for a fact.  I now walk in more peace than I ever have.  As I capture my thoughts and force myself to think about the Word and God's love, a greater assurance that God will prevail rises in my soul.  My spirit is refreshed instead of exhausted.  Praises flow freer throughout the day.  And, my enemies have begun to be at peace with me.  I do believe I will continue the fight of the Lord.  I believe I will spend my waking hours "tearing the devil a new one."  C'mon and join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Were Created for this Battle

Eph. 6:12--For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against powers, against the world forces of this darkness, a...